emma

9

emma wrote

Nah, I already piss those people off by merely existing.

4

emma wrote (edited )

Yep, and it's Symfony's fault. There's a memory leak in the latest version, and it gobbles up all the memory PHP allows to be allocated. It's fixed in master, but I'm still waiting on them to tag a new release.

For reference: https://github.com/symfony/symfony/pull/25971

3

emma wrote

Yes. I hope no one's waiting for my approval.

(Would prefer this is on the wiki and not in the sidebar.)

3

emma wrote

Starting from this fresh commit, you can set the default language for the entire site via the APP_LOCALE environment variable. Existing user accounts will not have their language setting affected, unfortunately.

5

emma wrote

If it makes you feel any better, we all gobbled up a fake story about Nazi-eating cuttlefish back when Raddle ran Wordpress.

7

emma wrote (edited )

Um...

The title is clickbait. Article states it's 'the first formal report in the medical literature of induced lactation in a transgender woman'.

2

emma wrote (edited )

There's an index.js file that contains a list of available languages. I have no idea if adding an entry there will work.

May I suggest trying to get your translation included in date-fns itself? This will help out a lot of people, and you won't be messing with your node_modules/, losing track of your changes whenever updates occurs. Their repository is on GitHub.

Edit: seems this index.js is only available in the source repository, not in the distributed module files.

9

emma wrote

I'm not a fan of child labor, but[...]

There's a sentence that won't end well.

2

emma wrote

This isn't going to work. Gmail downloads images in emails on behalf of the user, then displays their cached versions so the end user never hits the original server.

2

emma wrote (edited )

And I don't think it's possible to bundle a virus with a video file, since the video file itself isn't being executed, but rather interpreted by a media player.

You'd be surprised at the potential for vulnerabilities in media players. I jailbroke my 3DS by playing back a specially crafted .m4a file in the '3DS Sound' application, for instance. All interpreters can have vulnerabilities if they aren't coded with care.

2

emma wrote

Seems like the mistake is commenting out the one try_files line?

I don't have time to set up an nginx instance today to test this, but I'll leave you with an alternative setup that I know works:

    location / {
        try_files $uri /index.php$is_args$args;
    }

    # ...

    location ~ ^(.*?\.php)($|/.*) {
        try_files $1 =404;
        include fastcgi.conf;
        fastcgi_pass unix:/run/php/php7.1-fpm-www.sock;
        fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME $realpath_root$fastcgi_script_name;
        fastcgi_param PATH_INFO $2 if_not_empty;
        fastcgi_param APP_ENV 'prod';
        fastcgi_param APP_SECRET 'SECRET GOES HERE';
        fastcgi_param SITE_NAME 'Your site name';
        fastcgi_param DATABASE_URL 'pgsql://db_user:db_pass@localhost:5432/db_name?serverVersion=9.5';
        fastcgi_param MAILER_URL 'smtp://localhost:25?encryption=&auth_mode=';
        fastcgi_param NO_REPLY_ADDRESS 'no-reply@example.com';
        internal;
    }
2

emma wrote

I mean, if you have a million forum_subscription rows, it'll still only use 40 MBs of storage, vs 32 MB had we used bigints. So I really don't consider it an issue at all. From the PHP developer's perspective, having entity objects that are always valid more than makes up for the tiny increase in resource usage. It really comes in handy for unit tests, for instance.

3

emma wrote

Using UUIDs means the entity object is always in a valid state, which is good practice. It avoids additional round-trips to the database to retrieve the next number in the sequence. Unfortunately, I learnt about this quite late into development, so a lot of entities still have bigint sequences for no good reason at all.

7

emma wrote

'Stop using political tools as political tools'

3

emma wrote

It looks good. I think there's a call to the Submission constructor in the test suites' fixtures that needs to be altered, and you're missing a migration class for bringing the database up-to-date. The getters/setters are also out of order, although this is pretty insignificant.

3

emma wrote

This is a PostgreSQL 10 incompatibility. Doctrine doesn't support this version yet, so until they release a fix, the SQL generation tools won't work.

2

emma wrote

Yeah, I removed that in favour of a proper web interface for adding categories. See the 'admin' menu.

2

emma wrote (edited )

It's more of an oversight than it was a conscious choice.

When designing the comments, I didn't account for the need to show context in certain situations. Adding it now would mean changing the HTML, changing the stylesheet a bit, and breaking every theme... unless I go for the easy route and just don't give a damn about structuring the HTML properly, which I think is icky. So basically every theme is going to break when I get around to adding it, which is why I've been dragging my feet.

To be clear, the theme breakage won't be that terrible, but it will still be annoying.