Shoplifting/LP Terminology

Submitted by thief moderator in Shoplifting (edited )

Loss Prevention/Security

LP - Loss Prevention

AP - Asset Protection

S3 - S3 handkey used for removing security tags

PTZ - Pan-tilt-zoom camera. A very high quality camera that can, well, pan, tilt and zoom.

ORC - Organized Retail Crime

Internal theft - Theft committed by the employee against their own business.

EAS - Electronic Article Security. Typically 2 tall towers that set off all alarms (besides ink tags).

Plainclothes - LP and Security employees dressed as a regular person

No-chase policy - A policy set into place by a store stating you cannot chase a shoplifter. Most stores with this policy will at least call the cops.


Gator Tag - Long security tag with a spike. No ink.

Ink Tag - A tag that releases ink when someone attempts to remove it manually. These tags do not explode or set off alarms.

RFID - Small sticker tag.

Spider Wrap/2alarm - Big alarm that wraps around high end products with wires. Very fucking annoying.

3alarm - Padlock security tag. Electronic. Also sets off security gates.

Pencil Tag - Hammer-shaped security tag.

Soft Tag - Small adhesive security tag.

Hard Tag - Square security tag with a spherical nub.

Lanyard Tag - Large boxy tag with a cable.

Source tag - An item that has tags attached during manufacturing inside the box.


Golf Detacher - A magnet used and designed to detach security tags. They can be used to detach security tags.

Booster Bag - A typical bag lined with material, typically foil, to block RFID signals to bypass security tags to prevent setting off an alarm.


You must log in or register to comment.


Jiminsmallpepper wrote

What about barcodes printed in the item? Like I saw an album that had the barcode printed it on (it wasn’t a white sticker but just black bars with numbers) do these set of alarms if I were to walk past the doors??


bwqrdsaf wrote

Need to have SWIM under Other: Someone Who Isn't Me

Intended to be used to imply the alleged crime was done by someone else and not by OP


youbuyingweselling wrote (edited )

what are the alarms called that they have lowes now? i have heard them be referred to turtle alarms due to there green color but what company makes these? i guess they are pressure sensitive?


Drshoplifter wrote

Id note that 3 alarm tags set off the security alarm and go off themselves with their internal alarm when you pass the was towers.