Let's crowdsource and inspire each other by collecting ideas on how to turn the rented houses* into a place that offers and promotes mutual help in a network in a neighborhood or region! :)
- Show the useful things you have for the public and lend/give them to others
- Provide space in a cellar for rescued food, to repair bicycles, ...
- Make it possible to use "your" shower, toilet, internet access
- Store cardboard boxes, backup drives safely
- Receive Post and / or packages for others, share your mailbox
So far, I've just developed basics of this kind of "commons infrastructure". But perhaps we'll find more when we think of undocumented, nomadic, homeless, activist or even business people who want to make money out of basic human needs.
(* sure, this also applies to communities, communes, squatted places, purchased houses, but I think the most common, because fairly legal and fairly safe, way is to rent a place. Choice of words in the original post comes from my current situation as a tenant.)