This method was tailored for mass quantity, a short period of time, but the risk factor is high. We knew we would be on camera but were OK with the risk
Our take on this run was 63 boots, 128 base layers of pants and tops( I think, I was a sloppy on the count) and 54 pairs of Darn Tough socks - these socks have a lifetime warranty.
We are a team of eight people, used two cars, and two large SUVs.
This is the method we followed:
- We found two cities who had a high density of REI, Dicks, and Academy stores. We limited ourselves to 4 locations in each city where the three stores are within a half mile radius.
- Two of us went to another city to buy large items: blankets, small coolers, knee length boots... etc. We used that opportunity to request additional bags. Those items were then returned a couple days later. The only objective was to have the bags.
- We visited the stores so we had a rudimentary understanding of the layout and what the 'vibe' was like.
On the day of the lift.
- We traveled four per SUV and removed the 3rd row seats. We stopped in another town and took plates that matched our vehicle make, model, and color.
- Each store was a little different. Shoes came from Dicks and Academy because they are on the floor. REI has to bring the shoes to you. The lions share of baselayers came from REI and Dicks. Socks were exclusively REI.
- For shoes: one person went into each store and grabbed shoes. They would detag and pile the boxes up on the bench and on the floor as they tried them one. Once they had six boxes piled up the remaining three people went in, put two boxes per bag, and immediately walked straight out the door. The shoe person flushed the tags in the restroom.
- For baselayers: One person took the garments into the fitting room, detagged them, put all the tags into a soiled food bag, and then went to the restroom to trash the bag. As soon as they exited the fitting room a second person immediately went in, bagged the items and immediately left. We did this as two person teams.
- Socks were just random grabs with concealment on the floor. None of the socks had tags.
That is our master Ocean 11's plan. It was simple and highly effective.