I'd describe myself as a MLM, generally. What that means to me is a few major points:
- All history is ultimately class struggle (Marxism)
- A revolution of the proletariat against the bourgeoisie is necessary in order to establish socialism (Leninism).
- A vanguard of leaders is necessary to protect a revolution from outside influences (Leninism).
- As long as capitalism and bourgeoisie interests exist, it is necessary to attempt to destroy them, because they cannot exist alongside socialism (Maoism).
- The most important goal is the protection and well being of the members of the society (Maoism).
- The ultimate goal of a communist is to create a stateless, classless, moneyless, socialist society. We share this (generally) with Anarchists (Marxism).
However, many MLM leaders have failed to follow many of these tenants, and as such their attempts to create a socialist society have also failed. How do we solve that? I think it should be by implementing ideas from anarchism into a MLM model.
A vanguard is required to spread class conciousness. A vanguard cannot really be elected or decided, because it is usually not a real organization. Instead, a vanguard functions more like antifa: allied, but mostly concerned with the well being of the community they serve.
A revolution comes when class conciousness has spread to the point where the majority of the lower class understand that it's necessary (and some event sparks it; a vanguard can also be involved in this). However, a revolution should not be heavily organized. A heavily organized revolution will concentrate power in the hands of the organizers too much, and will often pass that power once the revolution is finished.
After a revolution is finished, most power should immediately be handed to the new directly democratic society. All large-scale economic and social decisions should be handled through direct democracy by the society as a whole. Representatives can be elected if the society sees fit, but its not necessary.
However, foreign policy and defence should still be handled by a vanguard. The vanguard must be able to be recalled if it becomes a danger to the people it's meant to protect. Not having to wait for a vote allows a vanguard to react effectively to threats.
What are your thoughts on this?